Saturday 3 March 2012

February 29th's Traveling Toward Sunrise devotional

"Therefore it is of faith... to the end the promise might be sure..." Romans 4:16. When the great chemist, Sir Michael Faraday was on his deathbed, some journalists questioned him as to his speculations concerning the soul and death. "Speculations!" said the dying man in astonishment, "I know nothing about speculations; I am resting on certainties." 

"I want the proved certainties 
To soothe the soul's deep cries; 
And not man's vain philosophies 
Based only on surmise. 

 I want a book that is inspired 
In which to posit faith;
 And not some mutilated scroll, 
or literary wraith. 

 I want the calm assurance of 
A voice beyond this dust, 
A voice from out eternity 
In which to place my trust. 

For when I come, at eventide 
to Jordan's swollen stream, 
I want the tested verities, 
And not some mystic dream. 

 This mortal life is far too brief,
 Eternity too vast,
 To follow human sophistries
 And lose the soul at last.

 Then give me back the Holy Book 
by inspiration penned; 
I'm through with fabled falsities 
and allegoric trend."     
by M.D. Clayburn 

 "If an angel should fly from heaven and inform the saint personally of the Saviour's love, the evidence would not be one whit more satisfactory than that which is borne in the heart by the Holy Ghost. Spurgeon





No comments:

Post a Comment