Wednesday 18 April 2012

Leave it to me, Child, Leave it to me.


Leave it to me, Child, leave it to Me,
Dearer thy garden to me than to thee,
Lift up thy heart, Child, lift up thine eyes,
Naught can defeat Me, naught can surprise.

Leave it to me, Child, leave it to Me,
Trust in the Wall of Fire, look up and see
Stars in their courses shine through the night
Both are alike to me -- darkness and light.

Leave it to me, Child, leave it to me,
Let stop the burden too heavy for thee.
That which I will, My Hand shall perform,
Fair are the lilies that weather the storm.


By Amy Carmichael

(Written after a storm had threatened to ruin her garden, but rather "washed" it. The flowers that came through the storm were more beautiful afterwards. She remembered then that her garden of beloved children were even dearer to God than to her. She would trust Him to perfect them.)


I heard this as a song the other day, and it's been going round in my head ever since! How lovely to know that we can trust God and leave it all to Him.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you'll see this. Do you know who sings the song of this poem? This poem is so dear to me and I didn't realize it was also a song and would love to hear it. I haven't been able to locate it. If you could help, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa Marie,
      I heard it on a podcast from a small independent group of churches where some friends go. It was put to a tune by one of the members. If you emailed me on estherhuddleston@talktalk.net with your email address I could probably find the clip and send it to you, but I don't think I'd be able to upload it on here, sorry. I found it really beautiful and very helpful.

      Delete