Tuesday 12 July 2011

A Poem by William Luff (one of many more to come!!!)

I found a really good book the other day. 100 poems about Jesus by William Luff! It's quite an old one, but there's some great lines in there. 
  Trying to Please Jesus 
 Trying to please Him - O blessed employ! Never had mortal such service of joy: 
Never had servant such Master as He; 
Never was service so pleasant, so free.

 Trying to please Him - how simple the task! Not the impossible Jesus will ask, 
Not the preposterous, startling deed; 
Little will please Him, if love shall but lead.

 Trying to please Him - blest object in life! Breathing His Spirit above the world's strife; Scattering kindness, and comfort, and love; Then looking up for a smile from above.

 Pleasing my Saviour: - though others may frown, 
Pass with indifference, coldly look down; 
Let me but please the great heart of my God, Little I care for the world's gracious nod.

 Trying to please Him - be this the one aim, Crowned and exalted, or branded with shame, 
'Mid the vast multitude on the highway, 
With the poor pilgrim where lonely I stray.

 O! it would soften the actions we do, Sweeten our thoughts and our whisperings too, 
If, ere we acted, or uttered, or thought, 
What would please Jesus, we evermore sought. 

 Be it our prayer in the morn when we wake, Be it our wish as life's pathway we take, 
Be it our hope when the day shall be o'er: Pleasing the Saviour - Heaven asketh no more.



 I think it's rather challenging too. Lord, please help me to keep my mouth closed till I know the words to say that will please You, and please help me always to seek to please You in everything I do!

2 comments: