Saturday 16 July 2011

The "Comes" of Jesus, William Luff

I heard it first when, in a desert land,
Lost, I was wandering, blinded by the sand,
Where weary wastes spread round on every hand.
"Come unto Me, and rest." (Matthew 11:28)

My soul was fainting 'neath life's scorching sun,
Hot, fevered blood for many an hour had run
Through burning veins. Voice of the well-side One!
"Come unto Me, and drink." (John 7:37)

I had been toiling on a midnight sea
Without success, but morning brought to me
My absent Lord; O well I knew 'twas He,
By His sweet "Come and dine." (John 21:12)

Once, though I had nor fame, nor friend, nor dress,
He sent His servant after me, to press
His invitation on my dire distress, -
"Come to the marriage feast." (Matthew 22:4)

I sat and feasted in that palace hall,
And thought life but a banquet, - till a call
From Jesus roused me, as His lips let fall -
"Come, take thy cross, and follow." (Mark 10:21)

And soon I learned His gifts to me would claim
Gifts in return: that as the Priest He came
Unto His altar, calling upon my name-
"Come, offer here thy gifts." (Matthew 5:24)

Once, in a storm. it fell upon my ear,
When at a phantom form I cried with fear,
'Twas Jesu's voice, bidding my heart draw near,
In one short message, "Come." (Matthew 14:29)

Once I was busy with the multitude;
And they were many, troublesome, and rude,
So Jesus called me into solitude,
With His kind "Come apart." (Mark 6:31)

I longed for an acquaintance yet more true,
"Where dwellest Thou?" I asked. My heart He knew,
And called me with His favoured chosen few,
With a mild "come and see." (John 1:39)

Once I had climbed my leafy sycamore
Of prayers, and works, and merits. Jesus saw
Exalted self, viewing the low crowd o'er.
"Come down," He gently said. (Luke 19:5)

Humbled by grace, no longer I look down,
But upward gaze towards His high renown,
Until He beckons to the throne and crown,
And "Come up hither," cries. (Revelation 4:1)

Thrice blessed word! and when mankind shall meet
As sheep or goats around His judgment-seat,
There I shall hope to hear His lips repeat,-
"Ye blessed people, come." (Matthew 25:34)

No comments:

Post a Comment