Thursday 15 November 2012

a poem by Miss J. H. Hunt

"I look not back - God knows the fruitless effort,
The wasted hours, the sinning and regrets;
I leave them all with Him that blots the record
And graciously forgives and then forgets.

I look not forward, God sees all the future,
The road that short or long, will lead me home,
And He will face with me its every trial,
And bear for me the burden that may come.

I look not around me - then would fears assail me,
So wild the tumult of life's restless sea;
So dark the world, so filled with war and evil,
So vain the hope of comfort and of ease.

I look not inward, that would make me wretched,
For I have naught on which to stay my trust;
Nothing I see but failures and shortcomings,
And weak endeavours crumbling into dust.

But I look up - up into the face of Jesus!
For there my heart can rest, my fears are stilled;
And there is joy, and love and light for darkness,
And perfect peace, and every hope fulfilled."

by Miss J. H. Hunt.

(I saw this in the Traveling Toward Sunrise devotional book, and thought, yes, that's definitely one to share on here! I particularly love the last verse. How about you?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Esther I seem to have joined your blog a second time sorry. I was trying to post a comment and could'nt.
    As always an inspirational entry, and yes you are right as usual, the last verse is the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful poem, written by Annie Johnson Flint, also a hymn. Reminds me of another beautiful hymn reinforcing the last verse. “Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His Wonderful Face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His Glory and Grace.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SJG.
      Yes that's a wonderfully encouraging hymn you shared.
      God bless you.

      Delete