Thursday 13 September 2012

A challenging exhortational letter ??


This letter was written to a young girl who asked an older Christian to share their view about "clubbing". For instance, perhaps she wondered if can't you still go "clubbing" as long as you don't get drunk? I think if you replace the word "clubbing", the Scriptures in the letter are a pretty good guideline to the suitability of any activity for Christians who genuinely want to serve the Lord.


 I couldn’t answer your question last night as I needed more time to think about it!
Presumably due to my upbringing, the thought of “going clubbing” never entered my head. I always thought that’s something Christians just don’t do.
You asked for my thoughts on the subject, but in reality, my thoughts aren’t worth two hoots! However, several Scriptures and things came to mind that I believe I need to share with you, although I trust you’ve already read them!

 I will start with part of the Westminster Shorter Catechism which states, “the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever”. If you can think of a way that going "clubbing" will glorify God, good for you, but I can’t. After all, the essence of "clubbing" is getting drunk, having a “good time” (by the world’s standards), listening to very loud worldly music, using recreational drugs, dancing and looking for boyfriends /girlfriends.

          Next, is the whole question of “What would Jesus do?”.  Personally, I cannot picture (in my wildest imaginations) that Jesus would ever be found "clubbing". Can you?

 Next, the song, “All to Jesus, I surrender” contains a profound line, “Worldly pleasures all forsaken.” Is it just me, or is "clubbing" a “worldly pleasure”? You may find it hard to accept (I think everyone does!!) but, Jesus didn’t call Christians to have a “happy life” filled with the world’s pleasures. He calls us to be holy, set apart for Him to use. He calls us to “deny ourselves, take up our cross, and follow Him.” Mark 8:34.

 In 2 Corinthians 6, verses 11-18 and verse 1 of chapter 7 talk about the importance of being holy. “Come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch (or do) what is unclean and I will receive you.” This indicates that if one does not come out from among them (the world), is not separate, and does “touch the unclean things” that He will not receive that person. Obviously, that is very serious!
         
(Just to clarify, I keep mentioning “the world” and I was taught that as Christians, we have 3 main enemies: the world, the flesh and the devil. I think the devil is fairly self-explanatory! The world means “out there in non-Christian environments” (which "clubbing" definitely is!!) The flesh is our own selfish nature. I know my nature is selfish, and I think everyone’s nature is selfish at times. Christians are called to live a life of “death to self” being dead to our old natures and desires, and alive to what God’s will for us is. In fact, Paul (in Galatians 2:20) says, “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me: and the life I now live in the flesh (body) , I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

Hebrews 11:25 records that Moses chose “rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin for a season.” Unfortunately, (in a sense) every one of us has to make a choice- which do I want/love more? Jesus or the world.
You can’t have both because “friendship with the world is enmity with God. Whoever wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.” James 4:4. Trust me, if you really choose to love Jesus with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, He is SO WORTH IT!!!! Though it will be tough in this life, we can know Jesus and the promise of a glorious eternal life in heaven with Him which will be so much better than anything this world can give!! The “passing pleasures of sin” do not last and really take their toll on you. Yes, you might enjoy it at the time, but afterwards, you would be left with many regrets.

May I encourage you to read John 17? I especially want you to notice verses 15-19, where Jesus is praying. He says, “I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them (make them holy) by Your truth. Your word is truth. As You sent me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. And for their sakes, I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.”

Titus 2: 12-14 says… “denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.”

I’m guessing you weren’t expecting such a long letter and I wasn’t expecting to write such a long one either. I trust the things I have written will help you to understand “my view” on the subject. Think about it, pray about it, see if it makes sense. I believe we ought to be very careful about not doing things/going places that will “grieve the Holy Spirit” as without Him we cannot please God. If you want some extra reading, Psalm 101 verses 2 and 3 tied in very nicely too!

I’ll close with another Scripture just for good measure, copying Jude’s ending: “Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy. To God our Saviour, who alone is wise, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen."
(I don’t remember if I told you before but Amen is a Hebrew acronym which means, “The Lord our King is Faithful.”)

Take care,
God Bless,


Would anyone like to share their thoughts? I hope you've been encouraged and challenged as you read this letter. I know I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment