Tuesday 18 June 2024

A few quotes by Susanna Wesley (1669-1742)

“The child that never learns to obey his parents in the home will not obey God or man out of the home.”

“Would you judge the lawfulness or unlawfulness of pleasure, of the innocence or malignity of actions? Take this rule: whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, or takes off the relish of spiritual things; in short, whatever increases the strength and authority of your body over your mind – that thing is sin to you, however innocent it may be in itself.”

“Help me, Lord, to remember that religion is not to be confined to the church… nor exercised only in prayer and meditation, but that every where I am in Thy Presence.”

“There are two things to do about the gospel. Believe it and behave it.”

“I am content to fill a little space if God be glorified.”

“When I had forgotten God, yet I then found He had not forgotten me. Even then He did by His Spirit apply the merits of the great atonement to my soul, by telling me that Christ died for me.”

“You, O Lord, have called us to watch and pray. Therefore, whatever may be the sin against which we pray, make us careful to watch against it, and so have reason to expect that our prayers will be answered.”

“He is so infinitely blessed, that every perception of His blissful presence imparts a gladness in the heart. Every degree of approach to Him is, in the same proportion, a degree of happiness.”


I don't believe I recall hearing or reading any of these quotes before...

I do remember the fact that she had 19 children... And everyday she would sit in her chair and covering her face with her apron, spend time in prayer. Her little ones knew not to disturb their mother when the apron was there... I didn't recall the fact that only 8 of her children were still alive when Susanna died. I'm still amazed by the fact that she taught them all Greek and Latin!!

I think I should be able to learn a few things from her example, and I'm glad the Lord gave us the hymns of her sons John and Charles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment